Saturday 29 April 2017

Peanut Butter Banana Bread


Good Morning! Today I am sharing with you a little recipe that has become a bit of a staple in our house. I moved in with my boyfriend in January and before then, peanut butter was conspicuously absent from my family home - no one was really a fan. Since moving in with Steve however it seems you're always a few feet away from peanut something - and I have discovered so long as it's heavily sugared or heavily salted then I'm a peanut fan too.

The reason I first made this is because we are fantastic at shopping for healthy foods - not so good at eating them (see pictures) so one day on our weekly shop we bought the biggest bunch of bananas ever thinking 'hey we can eat these for breakfast, on our way to work or as a snack this is great!' 

So we ate a few and they progressively gained more brown spots, so one day I thought of a way to make us eat them - Banana Bread! So I went through my cupboards and found I had the following things to make it taste nice - peanut butter, chocolate chips and vanilla extract so I got to work.



Ingredients

1/2 Cup of Melted Butter (plus a little to grease the pan)
1 Cup of Plain Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
3/4 Cup of Light Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup of Milk
1 Squeeze of lemon juice (just a little bit!!!)
2 - 3 Ripe Bananas (mashed)
1/4 Cup of Peanut Butter x2 (not 1/2 trust me - you need two 1/4 cups - V. Important)
1 Glug of Vanilla Extract
1 Large Egg
1 Yolk from an Egg
1 1/2 Cups of Chocolate Chips

Method

Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas 5. Grease up a loaf shaped baking dish.

In a bowl pour in the flour, salt, and baking powder, mix it all up.

In a second bowl (of jug if you're like me and only have the one mixing bowl...) mix up the sugar, bananas, 1/4 cup of peanut butter, milk, lemon juice, vanilla, egg and egg yolk until it's all a smooth golden-y colour. 

Pour your wet sugar/peanut/banana mix into the dry and fold it all in until it's combined. 

Chuck in 1 cup of chocolate chips - saving the other 1/2 cup. Mix in the choc-chips until well dispersed.

Pour the mixture into the baking dish and sprinkle the last 1/2 of chocolate chips on to. (You don't have to use a full 1/2 cup - it depends how much of a chocolaty top you want - I like mine V.V. chocolaty)

Pop in the oven and bake for 45-60 minuets. Mine was the bottom end of this so check regularly. Set an alarm for 30 minuets and check it then and see how long it needs, and set your alarm for every 5-10 minuets from then. It should be golden brown and a toothpick of knife inserted should come out ~mostly~ clean. I say mostly because I like mine a little gooey like a brownie texture - you may want yours more cakey.

Take in out the oven as soon as it's ready and leave to cool in the pan.

Once cool run a knife around the edges to release the banana-ry goodness and tip out onto a plate/chopping board. Then flip it over again because it will have come out the pan upside-down.

Put the other 1/4 cup of peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds, and then using a teaspoon drizzle it over the top of your cake.

+++ done. Make a coffee and grab a slice.



This is truly a fantastic cake, I made it at the weekend, me and Steve managed to devour the whole thing in two days, and then when I went back to work and showed a picture of it to the girls they demanded I bring in another the following week. So now this is a winner at home as well as the office.

I hope you enjoy it!!!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Katherine Harriet | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig