Monday 16 April 2018

Prawn and Orange Summer Salad



Hello! Today I worked from home as our Landlord was coming over to have a look at (and I hoped - fix) the bathtub tap. Unfortunately he couldn't get this done today and so I still can't use the Easter bath bomb my mum got me.

Anyway, as I was working from home I decided to make a big hearty salad to keep me going for the afternoon. I really fancied something refreshing, zingy, a little hot and full of flavour. There is nothing worse that a watery lettuce salad with a few sad tomato's. So this had to taste good, and as the sun has poked his head out for the first time in what feels like the longest winter of Westeros... I wanted something fruity.

I had these prawns already marinated and in my fridge. The reason? On Saturday I was expecting some friends over to watch the Grand National while we all lost our money. However this didn't happen - my friends were showing potential buyers around their house, and me and my other half won money on the Grand National instead! Result.

So I had the prawns in, they have been sitting in a marinade of the following since Saturday mid day - so have had two days of good soak up time at the time of cooking. But 20 minuets in the marinade will be just as effective. You just need a tablespoon of chilli sauce, whatever heat and type floats your boat (I used 'West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce') The juice of 1 lime, and a teaspoon of honey. Mix it all together and toss your prawns in. This marinade would also work wonderfully on chicken, or on other fish like salmon or crab.

If you are using a sweet chilli sauce - skip the honey. But really the trick is to dip your little finger into the mixed marinade before adding any raw meats/fish. That way you can adjust if you need to, add some salt if needed, crush in a garlic clove, splash in some soy. Really using those three ingredients you can just play around with various different flavours and additions until you have a flavour you're happy with.

You could then put your marinated meat onto skewers and grill on the BBQ, or slather the sauce on some salmon fillets and bake, serving with green beans and boiled potatoes... really this is so versatile so once you have the basic marinade the way you like it, the possibilities are endless!

Anyway, this is everything you need to make this gorgeous fun salad!


Ingredients
Olive Oil or Spray Oil for frying/grilling
24 King Prawns (pre-marinated in chilli and lime - see above)
20g of Feta Cheese
1 Red Onion (finely sliced)
165g Sweetcorn (drained)
1 Handful of Red Baby Leaf Lettuce
1 Handful of Green Baby Leaf Lettuce
1 Handful of Baby Leaf Spinach
1/2 Cup of Rocket (roughly)
1 Bunch of Coriander (chopped)
1 Bunch of Parsley (chopped)
1/2 Orange peeled and sliced
1/2 Orange Juiced
1/2 Lemon Juiced
1-2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper

Method
Heat up a frying pan or grill pan to a medium heat on the hob. Lightly oil or spray, wait for the oil to move freely, or for the spray to have turned clear and throw in your prawns to cook. Grill/Fry for about 2 minuets per side until opaque and pink.

While the prawns are cooking, toss both the baby leaf lettuces, spinach, rocket, coriander and parsley together in a large bowl. Scatter the thinly sliced onion and sweetcorn over the leaves. Add sliced and peeled orange segments on top. Crumble the feta all over.

Once the prawns have finished cooking add these to the salad. You can toss at this stage, but you have built up a beautiful colourful salad, if you toss the salad you will lose the aesthetic of this, which is fine if you're making for tupperware for lunches during the week, but not so good if you want to put this pretty dish on the table for dinner.


Squeeze over the juice of the orange and lemon. Add the soy. To cover nicely move in a zig-zag movement when applying the juices and soy, so every mouthful is busting with flavour. 


That's all there is to it! I think the fruit is what really makes this salad so special, If you had some pomegranate seeds I would add these as well to add a bit of ruby-red colour interest, texture an sweet fruity bursts of flavour.


If you make this gorgeous, delicious salad, please tag me on instagram (@kharri3t) or twitter (@kharriet) I love seeing your photos. Plus I'm a hungry hungry hippo so just like looking at pictures of food!

Kat Bull x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Katherine Harriet | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig